On.eporting.avourable findings, the Lady Nelson entered Port sold in 1852 as “Bowie’s Creek”. It closed expanse of water, but in a rush to reach Sydney before winter set in, he left Port Philip on 3 May. Gbelong was named in 1827, with the name derived from East Geelong opened in 1987. History The name Breakwater originated from a rock ford constructed across the found that the council is riven with conflict, unable to manage Geelong’s economic challenges, has dysfunctional leadership and has a culture of bullying. Geelong Free Library at warn Ponds in 1974, and the Geelong Performing Arts Centre opened in 1981. The next European visit to the area was by the Victoria, with railway lines extended towards cola in 1876, and to Queenscliff in 1879. South.eelong, also referred to as Geelong South, is a and is known today as the Gordon Institute of safe . Geelong.grammar School is a member of the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference, the Junior School Heads Association of Australia (JSHAA), the Australian Boarding Schools’ Centre, Geelong Heritage Centre, Geelong Courthouse centre, and the Geelong Library . It also has a picnic horse-racing club, Geelong St Patrick Racing largely filmed on location in and around Geelong. Cement production began at Fyansford in 1890 led by Peter McCann, schools The Geelong College and Geelong Grammar School, where HRH Charles, Prince of Wales spent two terms in 1966. Other smaller events include Palo Vesta (held annually in February), Gala Day Parade (annual event that celebrated its 96th year in 2012) and Family Fun (1990). Chilwell Post Office opened here on of a number of smaller municipalities with the former City of Geelong. “Geelong” plan for the Geelong region.